Educational Research and Development (ER& D) / Instructional and Professional Development (IPD)
Created on Wednesday, 13 March 2013 15:21 Written by CTA
Christina Phillips - chair
Board Liaisons: Gilda Morgan-Williams, Debra Mobley
Staff Liaisons: Dr. Kathi Gundlach, Theo Harris
Meeting Dates: Third Thursday of every month at 5 p.m.
If you would like to join this committee,
please email the chairperson above for more information
OR show up to the next meeting at CTA.
- ER&D is a union-sponsored, research-based professional development program.
It is designed to help local unions build the capacity to deliver high-quality
professional development services.
- The program was created in 1981 to encourage classroom educators
to improve their practice and their students’ performance
by becoming users of research.
- The American Educational Research Association awarded ER&D its highest honor,
as an exemplary program that "bridges the gap between research and practice."
- ER &D offers 12 strands that are available to all union constituents - teachers,
paraprofessionals, and school-related personnel - in more than 200 locals
across the country. Our union currently offers 7 of these 12 to union
and future union members.
- The ER&D Program meets the criteria for "high quality professional development"
as defined in the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 and President Obama's
Race to the Top program.
- ER&D delivers scientifically based research in a focused, sustained framework
that promotes the application of research-validated concepts and strategies.